Screen Tourism Development Programme
One in five tourists are influenced by what they see on screen in making their destination choice, providing a huge opportunity for Hertfordshire which features in a strong backlist of internationally recognised films and TV. Screen tourism offers Hertfordshire the opportunity to reach more elusive consumer segments, encouraging a younger audience to seek out landscape and heritage locations and enticing international visitors to go off the beaten track and therefore provide a catalyst to the recovery of the visitor economy across the whole county. Itinerary development and destination promotion connects film locations with town centres across Hertfordshire driving footfall and spend in these local communities to support recovery.
Aims of Screen Tourism Development Programme:
The Screen Tourism development project aims to support 10 businesses in Hertfordshire to develop and launch new experiential screen tourism products to attract visitors, extend the tourism season and drive overnight visitation.
- Create new revenue streams to support businesses resilience
- Attract new markets, increase length of stay and spend
- Encourage visitors throughout the year and dispersal to less visited areas
How can this programme can benefit you?
Are you a venue with location filming looking to create an experience from your backlog? A tourism and hospitality business that would like to attract new audiences through immersive experiences telling the story of filming in Hertfordshire?
Are you looking to diversity to increase your venue streams? Do you provide props to film productions and looking to create exclusive experiences to provide exclusive access? Or maybe you are a business specialising in creatives for film production looking to diversify revenue streams to offer visitors a glimpse of exclusive behind the scenes of how productions are made?
If so, the Screen Tourism Product Development programme provides advice and support needed to take your idea, turn it into a new visitor product and take it to market. This supports your future resilience through the creation of new revenue streams and opportunities to attract new higher-spending audiences looking for immersive experiences.
Why should you take part?
This programme will help you develop your ideas into a product and take it to market. If your business becomes part of the Screen Tourism development programme, you will benefit from an intensive package of support worth up to the value of £25,000:
1:1 consultation and specialist advice
- Specialist 1:1 support from screen tourism consultant
- Specialist advice such as IP, commercial law and commercialisation
Funding to help develop product
- Once approved, applicants can then apply for a grant of up to £8,000 (20% match funding required) to support the development of the screen tourism concept. You will be supported with the full application process to help ensure the expenditure is eligible.
Product and market testing
- Opportunity to test your new product with consumers and the travel trade
- Content, imagery, video and digital asset creation
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities and expertise at UH’s Creative Arts School and innovation hub
Campaign and distribution
- Inclusion in screen tourism destination content, itineraries campaigns and PR
- Inclusion in travel trade distribution activity
Additional benefits of taking part:
- Training on the needs of production companies to increase filming to your location
- Opportunity to work with cross-sector businesses to strengthen or diversify your business model
- Being part of an exciting, new project to support raising the awareness of Hertfordshire as a film-friendly screen tourism destination.
- Only costs involved are £2,000 match funding to benefit from the package of support
- Working with other businesses in your area and building relationships with both local, county and countrywide businesses
- Working alongside a leading destination management organisation and experienced project partners
- The opportunity to tap into a rapidly growing market of experiential and localised tourism products
- Additional high-value visitors, with a focus on bringing tourists in the off-season
- Opportunities to attract more production companies to film at your location
What are the types of screen tourism experiences that could be developed?
- Actual location visits
- Exclusive access behind the scenes tours
- Immersive Experiences Based on Film or TV
- Creative workshops focusing on how productions are made i.e special effects workshops
- Dining Experiences
- Experiential events i.e. film focused balls
What are the timelines for this project?
The below timings are subject to change, based on the needs of the project.
Deadline to complete the application form:
Midnight 2nd February 2022
You will find out if your application is successful by the end of:
9th February 2022
Initial development sessions with your mentor will take place during:
February - March 2022
Full grant applications submitted:
February 2022 (Decision in three working days)
Once the grant is approved you can then go ahead and purchase equipment or services.
Content development will take place between:
March - April 2022
Campaigns and distribution will take place between:
May – June 2022
How do I apply?
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch:
Senior Destinations and Marketing Executive
01227 286 887